The National Bank of Samoa (nbs) invites qualified candidates to apply for the Bank’s Internal Auditor role.
One of the guiding principles for ‘enhancing corporate governance’ is to have an internal audit function with sufficient authority, independence, resources and access to the Board of Directors. An internal audit function provides vital assurance to the Board of Directors and Management as to the quality of the Bank’s internal control system. In doing so, the internal auditor function helps reduce the risk of loss and reputational damage to the Bank.
We are looking for an objective Internal Auditor to add value and improve our operations by bringing a systematic and disciplined approach to the effectiveness of risk management, control, and governance processes. The successful candidate will possess a thorough knowledge of accounting procedures and sound judgement. The Internal Auditor is responsible for establishing an annual Internal Audit Plan based on a robust risk assessment.
As an Internal Auditor, you will be responsible for the ongoing maintenance and assessment of the bank’s internal control, risk management and governance systems and processes. The duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Determine internal audit scope and develop audit annual plans;
- Perform and control the full audit cycle including risk management and control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable directives and regulations;
- Ensuring that the internal audit function maintains open communication with Management, external auditors, and the Audit Committee/Risk and Compliance Committee;
- Objectively reviewing and evaluating the Bank’s processes and the efficacy of risk management procedures and then making recommendations on how to improve internal controls and governance processes;
- Ensuring that the Bank is complying with relevant laws and regulations; reviewing discoveries of fraud and violations of laws and regulations;
- Engage to continuous knowledge development regarding Banking rules, regulations, best practices, tools, techniques and performance standards;
- Developing the Audit Charter and the Code of Ethics of the Internal Audit Function;
- Perform review on established systems for ensuring codes of conduct, compliance with regulatory and legal requirements, and the implementation of procedures and policies;
- Perform special investigations; and carry out tests on the timeliness and reliability of the regulatory reporting;
- provide any advice and perform special reviews on the request of the Board or the Risk and Compliance Committee/Audit Committee;
- liaise with an external auditor of the Bank when performing annual audits of the Bank.
Core Competencies/Skills and Abilities
- Strong decision-making, communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Strong aptitude of audit, analytical, or/and facilitation skills;
- A Certified Public Accountant in Samoa or NZ or Australia;
- Proven working experience in Internal Auditing - Proven knowledge of auditing standards and procedures, laws, rules and regulations;
- Advanced computer skills on MS Office, accounting software and application tools;
- Ability to analyse large amounts of data and to compile detailed reports;
- High attention to detail and excellent analytical skills and ability to perform and conduct investigations;
- Sound independent judgement and Strategic leadership skills;
- Possess strong ethics and role model the faaSamoa core values.
- At least six (6) years’ experience working in the Banking Industry or Auditing field;
- A member of Samoa Institute of Accountants; Or a Certified Public Accountant of NZ or Australia
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance, Business or a related discipline.
- The position offers an attractive remuneration package based on qualification and experience
Email or send your written application with your most recent Curriculum Vitae including name and details of three (3) Referees to: Manager Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org), National Bank of Samoa, P.O. Box 3047L, Apia, Samoa. (Position Description of the role can be obtained via email or can be uplifted from the HR Department)
Applications Close: at 4:00 p.m., Friday 20th December 2019